5/17/10

Churchkey

Introducing our first ever guestblog! In order to get you more reviews (and to save my liver), I've asked some very talented writing friends to lend their talent and experiences at local bars. I always respect their drink choices & recommendations, and I think you will too. Thank you, Katie, for being my first guinea pig!

-------------------------

Before Churchkey even opened I was dying to go there based on the design of the brand and it's display on the Web site alone. The bold fonts and simple silhouetted graphics showcasing the variety of beer glasses were enough to make every white hipster beer lover in DC rush out so they could experience it before their friends had the opportunity.

The first time I popped into Churchkey was on a whim, within a month of it's opening in October of 2009. My parents were in town for a visit and staying down the street at the Donovan House, so we dropped in just as it opened on our way back from a little shopping at Miss Pixie's on 14th Street. My father and I sampled a couple beers from the Crisp section of their menu and my mother, a strict non-beer drinker, enjoyed the vintage decor, high ceilings with sunlight pouring through the picture windows and a standard selection of liquor.

We didn't even need to confer before ordering the Mac & Cheese Sticks for the table, but just as easily concluded that they were an abomination. I will say this now, knowing that you will likely ignore my warnings and order them anyway...why wouldn't you? It's fried macaroni and cheese in stick form...they should be incredible! But when you bite into them and the inevitable disappointment creeps onto your face, think of me. Mozzarella stick appearance on the outside, but tastes like sweaty macaroni in a breaded rectangle. Sad.

Every other time I've ventured to Churchkey since, I have had to fight off some serious crowds, putting a real damper on my overall bar going experience. A couple tips to keep in mind during your next happy hour and to help you through during the hype:

Don't whine if there's a line.
It's typically for your own good. They try to keep it at a reasonable capacity upstairs so as to minimize the amount of elbowing and booty bumping you have to do once you get in. And they're also known to hand out tater tots to people waiting in line.

Don't crowd the plate.
Once you do get upstairs, you'll need to be quick if you want to get a booth or stool. Loiter within reason but don't make people feel uncomfortable like a slow-moving car full of Grandmothers in a Cracker Barrel parking lot. If you see people starting to wrap up, I recommend letting them know that you are interested in commandeering their area, but to take their sweet time. You'll be surprised at how loyal people can be with a small act of patience.

Don't be choosy about your glassware.
Each beer comes with it's own unique shape that is made for the particular beer, to enhance the flavor and ultimate enjoyment of the brew. According to their blog post, "Glass differentiation depends upon the beer's need for enhancing aromatic volatiles, showcasing appearance, and maintaining beer head." And, of course, they're above branding with logos.

Do expand your beer drinking horizons.
Maybe you're traditionally a wheat beer kinda girl or a stout drinking kinda guy, but you would be insane not to belly up for an early evening and chat with the incredibly knowledgeable barkeeps about some of their favorites from behind the bar. Though I am often guilty of sticking with Victory Brewing Company's Prima Pils for the night, my husband Tyler is a fan of their authentic cask ales, particularly when they featured Dogfish Head's Palo Santo Marron this winter. Though they're not the kind of thing you can drink all night, the amount of care that goes into their cask ales is definitely worth exploring.

So that's it. Churchkey is a gorgeous bar and a great place to soak up the knowledge about super rare beers so you can impress the pants off your friends at your next get together, but I'd prefer it if you didn't go. I want the hype to die down so I can just enjoy my super snooty beer conversations in private.

The Deal:
There is no deal. The beer is fantastic, the barkeeps are super smart and they serve you tots as you wait in line to get in. Check their blog for any information on a special guest star in the form of a new keg.

M-F they open at 4pm
S-S they open at Noon

Churchkey

Thank you, Katie, for this Guestblog!
To check out more of her writing, please visit her blog:
http://katieobriendc.posterous.com/

2 comments:

GA+E said...

I like their website too! slick font and warm colors. we'd love to guest blog for you too - if youll have us! last weekend we found an alexandria spot with brunch beverages we'd love to rave about. xxx GA+E

swallis said...

I will definitely put you guys on the list! I am trying to do my own review within the first two weeks of the month, and having a guest review within the last two weeks.
I am leaning more towards happy hour reviews - what is the place you'd like to write-up? Do you think you could couple it as a HH and brunch spotlight? Lets chat :)