11/11/09

Tenpehn

When I walked into Tenpehn I had to ask where the bar was, and found it tucked behind a large, curving wall, completely separated from the restaurant. The lounge area had tons of seating with low couches and chairs, the bar had plenty of stools and some high-boys, and I was digging the pan-Asian colors that created a relaxing environment. Plopping myself down on the couch I had to wait until the waiter came around (5-10 minutes) to get my first drink, strike one.

The food was great deal! We sampled the menu and really enjoyed the dipping sauces and the tuna-sushi. I ordered edamame and it was served cold with a light sprinkling of cheese... I found that strange as I love sushi and usually order edamame as a starter, and it is never served cold. I didn't love it, but when dipped in the sauce of another appetizer, it was good.

I misunderstood the drink deals and thought the beers were half-price... they are not. Instead they are $5 each, strike 2. Really, they call $5 beers a deal? I say no. My friends did not stop me from ordering a $5 Bud (some friends)! If you order one of the 8 different specialty cocktails, you would be much more satisfied than I was.

Final Strike was the slow and stiff wait staff who seem perturbed when we ate our food slowly, despite ordering many appetizers and drinks. The bar and lounge were not crowded by any means, and we weren't skimping, so I'm not sure why we were treated in such a manner. Getting the check was a semi-nightmare (another 10 minute wait in the almost-empty lounge) and we got more glares as we split the check.

I might return to Tenpehn for a meal during restaurant week, but that is a big might.

the deal:
M–F, 3–7pm, 930–Close
Sunday 5:30–Close
$5 cocktails, selected draft beer & house wine
1/2 price apps ($2 edamame!)


Tenpehn

No comments: