8/4/09

Bar Pilar

Everyone I know who has been to Bar Pilar, loves it. The food is great! In a fashion similar to taps, you can order small plates with small portions. This is great (minus the price) for a HH when you're not super hungry, planning to cook at home, and just need something to tide you over. Everyone at our table was extremely happy with what they ordered: from tomato & basil on grilled bread, to the lamb-hot-dog.

The draft selection was solid with something that should please everyone: Brooklyn Brown, Allagash White, Magic Hat #9, etc. I was surprised that the Happy Hour was close to absent. The people I know who rave about this place frequent it at night and aren't looking for deals with food or drink. Only having 2 beers that are $2 off (Tecate and Yuengling, two of the bottles) and no food specials when the portions are already small, is a rip-off in my book. Especially when you have great options posted on a huge chalk board dangling over your head. I actually enjoy Tecate, but I think its a little cheap only aim for minimum expectations.

That being said, I would not recommend this bar for a happy hour, but fully support going here on a night out. It became packed quickly, during our Monday HH. I've been here on Friday nights when it was VERY packed — partially because of the narrow length of the restaurant/bar and the amount of people frequenting U Street. At one point there was a working photobooth in the back section which has brought pleasure and memories to many of my friends. The photobooth was frequently out of order, so I'm assuming Bar Pilar finally got tired of customers complaining about it and removed the booth entirely. I'm not a huge fan of crowds, but this is a great option when you're down that street and tired of fighting at the St. Ex bar or screaming over your friends in their downstairs basement, its right next door, much more relaxed, and has a more welcome feel. It is crowded, but far less crowded than St. Ex Thurs-Sat nights.

In summary: service was good, atmosphere was chill, food was tastey, deals were not impressive.

the deal:
M–F, 5–7
$2 Yuengling bottle
$2 Tecate can

Bar Pilar

No comments: