10/28/09

The Black Rooster

The Black Rooster was described to me as "The Cheers of D.C.", the first time I heard of it. I was standing in the rain with Jenny, watching a bit of Rugby. The man was from out of town but in D.C. for a consulting gig, and reminiscing about his old days in the district. A week later Jenny told me the bar was doomed to be closed, as it took up the first floor of the Peace Core building and they were planning to use the bar space as a new conference room.

3 days later we were there, just days before its scheduled close. I was not going to review the bar, but I recently heard via the DCist.com that the bar was planning on reopening!
Reached by telephone, Rooster Pub kitchen manager Phillip Turner confirmed that the bar does indeed hope to reopen in the next two to three weeks. Turner said that as he understood it, the leasing agent and the building owner "were able to work out something."
When the bar does reopen, go. The French Fries are the best in the city (normal fries, I'm not talking Dr. Graneville-fancy-pants-fries). Our waitress was an older chick, a combination of gruff with a mix of sarcastic jokes to win us over — a perfect blonde Carla. The plan was to get a beer and get out, but we found ourselves settling into a corner table and taking in the vibe of a Monday Happy hour while it was still available. I was sad to leave knowing a bar that I would surely love to come to again had a finite lifetime...

I hope to see you at a happy hour here soon, when it reopens in the coming weeks.

the deal:
we'll see what they come up with.

The Black Rooster

2 comments:

katie-o said...

Oh man I'm so psyched. Hope Gordon and the original crew didn't find new jobs because it wouldn't be the same without them!

Nice write-up. I'd also add that the nachos kick ass as well.

Flav said...

Hey, great post! I love the Rooster, been a regular there for a couple of years now.

I was very sad when the closing episode took place, and I can't say how happy I am that the Rooster will be opening again. Can't wait to sit at the bar with the regulars and bartenders again.

I'll see ya there!